Jul 01, 2018
Beautifying Your Backyard This Summer
Summer is a season where many homeowners spend a lot of their time outdoors. Is your backyard looking a little worse for wear? Whether you just moved in or have owned your home for quite some time and finally ready to upgrade your backyard, these design tips and tricks will get you started.
- Pressure wash your patio. Power washing is a simple way to remove dirt and grime from your backyard deck or patio. You can rent one from your local home improvement store or invest in an attachment for your standard backyard hose. When you’re ready to clean, remove any existing furniture, then pressure wash away! You can also give your home’s exterior a good cleaning, as well as any furnishings that might be part of your yard.
- Add pretty florals. Ornament your backyard with a stunning array of flowers! Plant vibrant flowers in pots and window planters and watch them bloom throughout the summer. Sprinkle decorative elements like small flags and gnomes throughout your garden to make it extra welcoming. If you’re a master in the kitchen, you can plant an herb garden, too. This will add character to your backyard and can help keep the bugs at bay.
- Dress up your tablescape. No backyard is complete without ample seating for entertaining guests. Keep easy weather-proof elements ready by the backdoor for when you're entertaining this summer. Think wire caddies to house condiments and utensils, colorful melamine plates, and festive printed placemats. When you’re expecting company, situate an arrangement of florals fresh from the garden as a centerpiece!
- Incorporate a focal point. Whether it’s a firepit or water feature, no backyard is complete without a focal point. If you entertain a lot, make your yard’s focal point a veranda, palapa, or other covered structure. This will be the center of attention when you have friends over. Firepits are another excellent focal point, serving as a conversation piece and source of warmth on chilly summer nights. If your backyard is large enough, water features like ponds and birdbaths make excellent decorative additions.
Longing for a beautiful backyard? Contact Carmen Mackey for more backyard design tips and tricks.
Jun 01, 2018
Using Gold In Your Home Design
Using gold in home design can be traced as far back as ancient Egypt, having seen a resurgence throughout the many styles that have come and gone since then. Today's use of gold in home decor pulls from a mix of these periods and has become very hot trend in the world of interior design. Discover some surprisingly easy ways to incorporate gold into your home, no matter what your personal style is.
- Accessories. Dressing up a room with gold accessories is a great way to introduce the hue into your home design. Incorporate gold embossed frames or decorative trays to warm up living rooms, basements, or bar areas. Window treatments are another area you can accessorize with gold. Whether it’s gold patterned drapes or a single gold sash draped over the valance, incorporating gold around your windows will help capture the sunlight and bring warmth into the space.
- Lighting. Like accessories, lighting is a great way to bring gold into any room in your home. From table lamps flecked with gold to elaborate chandeliers or standing light fixtures, there are a variety of lighting options out there than allow you to bring the warmth of gold into your design. For a simple fix, upgrade your existing light fixtures’ lampshades to ones with a warm gold print.
- Furnishings. There are a variety of ways you can bring gold into a space with furniture. Look for chairs with gold-painted arms and legs or seek out a fabric that features a gold pattern. If you have media stands or end tables that feature drawers, simply swap out the hardware for gold ones to give it a metallic edge. Don’t want to buy new hardware? Spray paint your existing ones golden for a quick, simple update. Gold furnishings add a sense of elegance to any space, whether you incorporate a bold gold accent piece or spruce up an existing furnishing with metallic accents.
- Accent Wall. Gold is an excellent wall color that can help warm, brighten, and expand the appearance of a room. Plus, it's a color that plays nicely with other colors, so you can either incorporate it into any room in your home, no matter what the color scheme may be. Refresh your bedroom, entryway, or even hallway with a gold accent wall.
Bring gold into your home this summer with these quick and easy design tips. Looking to incorporate gold into your home decor? Contact me today to discuss your design dreams!